Friday, January 23, 2009

Updates

L has been always loved art and writing notes. In the past few months her notes have progressed from straight lines, to connected cursive-like lines, and now to actual letters. She writes random letters but each word begins with the correct letter as she does pretty well with her beginning sounds. She learned (after watching once) how to make paper baskets and now we have a dozen roaming the house full of paper items. She also likes to make place mats, pictures she draws under contact paper, as well. She plays her Leapster very well and her new favorite game is Math Mission which is for 1st-3rd grade. When she wants to play she says "I really love math and and am better than Ashton at it so can I play my Leapster because it is easy for me?" I can't argue as she really pays attention and does get most of the answers correct.

R's speech has come back and he is making up for loosing words the past two weeks. He can now put two or more sounds and words together. It is so cute to hear him talk as he can fully say "Lilly" now and uses two words to explain things to us like "ball stuck" "slide down" "green choo-choo". My favorite is when I asked him this week how his sleep was and if he dreamed of, or thought about, anything while he was sleeping and he told me "Ash, Lilly play choo-choo". He taught me yesterday that he has one-to-one correspondence up to 3, which blew me away. I gave him three balls and we counted them, he then gave me one back and said "no, me two" then pointed to my ball and said "mommy one". He gave me another and said "mommy two, me one". With the little bit of spoken language he has, he expresses his genius more and more. Don't worry he still likes to dress up in rain boots or car slippers while playing card games or any other game he can get a hold of. His attention span is rather large as well as he will sit through a whole round of Monopoly Junior and not freak out waiting for his turn. His speech therapist also has commented on how she keeps thinking he is 3 since he behaves so well and doesn't bounce around from toy to toy but engages in one activity for a while.


A is in the process of a first as well. He has a tooth on the bottom that is loose. He can't wait to wiggle it out and put it under his pillow. It is cute how excited he (as well as Dad) is. He loves to ride the new 20" bike Santa brought him and didn't wreck much on the transition to bigger wheels. He has made a bunch of nice friends at school and even though he has plateaued in his math and reading skills, he is learning other information at school and loves bringing home encyclopedias from the library to read. Thankfully this week he brought home "4000 Things You Should Know" instead of "Volume 3" of the School Encyclopedia. A is very intrigued with science and enjoys sitting with Dad learning about body function, like how food is digested and blood flows. He watched a bit of a cooking show last night and now wants to make ravioli with me for dinner one night. He enjoys helping me measure and mix batters for cookies and breads and really enjoyed making pasta a while back.

S starts PT today to get her to push up on her arms but is already rolling front to back and sitting alone for extended periods of time. She still doesn't sleep through the night but hopefully once we start real food she will do better. Last night she chewed on a slice of zucchini and swallowed a couple chunks. She enjoyed that! *Since I started this two days ago, she ate pumpkin last night and wanted more than the 2 tablespoons I left out of the bread for her. Our PT wanted us to begin food with her to see if she has any sensory issues, which I don't think she has after the pumpkin last night. We still can't get S to sleep through the night but now that Dad is helping out every few nights, I am doing better. (I just read what I wrote two days ago and as you can notice, not sleeping through the night is a big thing around here.)

When I have a spare minute I will add some photos of the kiddos so check back.

No comments: