Monday, October 26, 2009

Garden Susan

We went outside after school today to check on the cold frames since it snowed today. All the children wanted to pick something but the only thing ready is arugula, which they don't like, and radishes, which are very fun to pick. Lilly went first and picked a pretty large one, ran inside to wash it, then ate it. Ashton went next and picked a medium sized one so went to the end of the line to try again. Rylan picked a bunch of leaves and finally managed to get the bulb out of the ground. He ran inside to wash his so he could eat it (or he just wanted to play in the sink). I lifted Susan up to pick one and she grabbed onto a pretty small one and wanted to eat it. I wiped the dirt off while Ashton picked a few more medium sized radishes and Susan ate the whole thing. She just shoved it into her mouth and chewed. She then asked for more, so I gave her another one. After her third radish I said no more and tried one myself. They were good with a spicy after taste. Lilly and Susan loved to eat them while the boys took one bite and were done.

So after an appetizer of spicy radishes, I was cutting onions for dinner and guess what? She wanted a slice, enjoyed it and ate about 4 more chunks. Apparently that wasn't enough for her since she got into the produce box, pulled out an onion, peeled the skin off one side and took about 4 big bites out of it.

Over the summer Susan would walk into the garden and eat the tomatoes off the plant or she would pull beans off the vine, take a bite, throw them and pick a new one. I thought nothing of her doing that. When she went into the garden last week and pulled the green frosted tomatoes off and chomped on those I was a bit concerned. Have a raised a raw food junkie?

1 comment:

Joel H said...

Wow - impressive she has no aversion to their strong tastes.