All I can say for her is "WOW"! Lilly aced her beginning of school exam. She is at the end of kindergarten for every subject. She recognized all her letters, upper and lower, wrote all of them correctly, spelled her full name, address, and phone number, counted to 90 (they made her stop as the goal was 15), counted by 5's and 10's, said all the letter sounds, wrote all her numbers, read a 1st grade story and retold it, drew a picture and wrote a sentence about it "I love to swin(m)", the list goes on and on...
We have her in 2nd grade mathletes because last year, in 1st grade mathletes, she was in the top 1/3 of the class. She is continuing to excel and has picked up regrouping (aka: carrying and borrowing) amazingly well. Her last assignment she was doing problems like 802 + 99 then matching the answer to the letter of an animal. She sits down with her workbook and pencil and counts away on her fingers, making sure to place the numbers in the correct row and adds away. I am just amazed at her abilities for mathematics and comprehension in general.
She reads and writes all the time. I have to clean out her bed regularly as it is full of books she has written (instead of sleeping), pictures she has drawn, and books she is reading. When I am making dinner she is always asking me to spell something or help sound out a new word if she is reading her "Dick and Jane" book.
Her goals for the year are to continue to enjoy and participate in 2nd grade mathletes, write 2 sentences on each page of her books (she makes books constantly at home and during her kindergarten enrichment afternoons), and continue making new friends and playing with a varity of friends at school.
Friday, October 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment