Monday, November 13, 2006

The Flu

Yesterday A woke up at 6:30, came to our room asking for more water and then threw up all over Daddy in the bed. It was a great start to our Sunday. Since 6:30 is wake up time for L as well the whole family was up bright and early. A kept asking for breakfast as we ate cereal. It is so hard for me to deny food/water to my child and I kept trying to explain to him that he cannot eat right after throwing up because they will just throw up again. As I was trying to explain how it all works he states, "When I threw up at Mary Jo's house she gave me sick crackers and they made me feel better." Just so everyone has the same information, we have not seen Mary Jo since June and he has not thrown up at her house for almost a year so I was stunned by his memory. He still did not get to eat breakfast with us even though he tried very hard. Tears were involved and then he threw up again, this was repeated throughout the day.

L awoke throwing up today, this time on me in bed around 8:30. I should have known she was sick since she slept in, but it was morning and I don't do mornings. It was another great start to another great day. The nice part about it was she let me snuggle her. She would sit on my lap and snuggle around my belly, under my shirt so she could hear the baby (blame Daddy for that one). The baby was actively kicking her and I would ask if she felt the baby kicking her and she would answer "jes". After a few dozen rolls and kicks L starts to say "bonk, bonk, bonk..." every time the baby kicked her. It was wonderful to see her understanding what was happening, as much as she can at least. A little later as we were rocking in the dining chair watching A refuse to eat his oatmeal because it was a mix between hot and cold, but not warm, she fell asleep on me, a mother's dream. I kept snuggling and rocking her until the baby tried to bounce her off my lap. She slept for a few hours, yes a few hours, and woke up in a much healthier state.

I have not cleaned up a mess since this morning and L was playing pretty rough this evening with A so hopefully we are over the 24 hour flu bug the children had. Now we just need to keep the germs away from Mom and Dad!

No comments: