Friday, January 04, 2008

Zoo Trip Today

Today was a balmy 50 degrees so we headed South to the zoo. It wasn't really that cold out if the sun was out but once it hid behind the clouds I was glad I had on my NorthFace fleece and new winter coat.

The new minivan was a breeze to park in the lot but once I opened the trunk to get out the collapsed double jogger, the whole jogger fell out into a gross melted snow puddle in the parking lot. After 10 minutes of trying to put together the wet buggy, I was really missing the bed of my Tundra.


>Pause to wipe tears from my eyes upon mention of the beloved truck<


For the first time ever, L actually opted to walk. Which left me with a half full buggy for a change. We spent a good 4 hours walking the zoo and eating, which we did pretty consistently the whole time we were there. Gotta love the Whole Foods granola selections!

We met neighbors there and went on the train ride for the first time at our zoo. It was short and sweet but a fun experience for A and L. R stayed in the buggy with one of our neighbors (He actually stayed bundled in the buggy the whole 4 hours. His diaper was SOAKED when I finally got around to changing the poor baby!). A and L got to see all the animals they love and even some new babies. There were two new giraffes, the baby zebra, baby gorilla, and a pair of shrews. We also saw a baby monkey/lemur that was just born today.

A's favorite part of the zoo was getting to see the mountain goats and monkeys. He actually told me as we were leaving the location of the goats, "right next the elephants that lead us out of the zoo. Then we will get to see the cheetah and the kangaroo, did you know there is a baby joey here as well?" We didn't get to see the joey but he was correct in his placement of the animals.

L's favorite part was the lions. They were the first animals we saw when we arrived and she, and A, was scared from the recorded growl that would sound when you walked past a certain spot. Both lions were sleeping but we got a good view of them and their huge manes. L loved telling me what the signs read about each animal. Mostly that they all had fur. The camels were the cutest as she tracked the words with her finger and said, " Camels have humps, big enormous humps under their fur."

Loading the minivan was a fun treat that will never be done again. After unloading the buggy (something I never did in the truck as I would just lift it and steer it into the bed), removing the wheels and trying to squish the main section and wet wheels into the trunk, I was frustrated and had gross melted snow sludge on my new coat and pants. Ugh!!!

After the nice visit to the zoo today I am looking forward to shopping for a new lightweight double buggy. Who says you can't have more than 5 buggy's? If you have any suggestions, please let me know...

No comments: